On 01/26/2018 06:01 PM, josef.p...@gmail.com wrote:
    I thought recarrays were pretty cool back in the day, but pandas is
    a much better option.

    So I pretty much only use structured arrays for data exchange with C
    code....

My impression is that this turns into a deprecate recarrays and supporting recfunction issue.

recfunctions and the associated function from matplotlib.mlab where explicitly designed for using structured dtypes as dataframe_like > (old question: does numpy have a sort_rows function now without detouring to structured dtype views?)

No, that's still the way to do it.

*should* we have any dataframe-like functionality in numpy?

We get requests every once in a while about how to sort rows, or about adding a "groupby" function. I myself have used recarrays in a dataframe-like way, when I wanted a quick multiple-array object that supported numpy indexing. So there is some demand to have minimal "dataframe-like" behavior in numpy itself.

recarrays play part of this role currently, though imperfectly due to padding and cache issues. I think I'm comfortable with supporting some minor use of structured/recarrays as dataframe-like, with a warning in docs that the user should really look at pandas/xarray, and that structured arrays are primarily for data exchange.

(If we want to dream, maybe one day we should make a minimal multiple-array container class. I imagine it would look pretty similar to recarray, but stored as a set of arrays instead of a structured array. But maybe recarrays are good enough, and let's not reimplement pandas either.)

Allan

Josef
<all code needs to be rewritten every 5 to 10 years.>

    -CHB
--
    Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
    Oceanographer

    Emergency Response Division
    NOAA/NOS/OR&R (206) 526-6959 <tel:%28206%29%20526-6959>   voice
    7600 Sand Point Way NE (206) 526-6329 <tel:%28206%29%20526-6329>   fax
    Seattle, WA  98115 (206) 526-6317 <tel:%28206%29%20526-6317>   main
    reception

    chris.bar...@noaa.gov <mailto:chris.bar...@noaa.gov>