Eric,

Great point. The multi-dimensional slicing and sequence return type is
definitely strange. I was thinking about that last night.
I’m a little new to the __array__ methods.
Are you saying that the sequence behaviour would stay the same, (ie.
__iter__, __revesed__, __contains__), but
np.asarray(np.ndrange((3, 3)))
would return something like an array of tuples?
I’m not sure this is something that anybody can’t already with do meshgrid
+ stack

and only implement methods already present in numpy.

I’m not sure what this means.

I’ll note that in Python 3
<https://docs.python.org/3/library/stdtypes.html#sequence-types-list-tuple-range>,
range is it’s own thing. It is still a sequence type but it doesn’t support
addition.
I’m kinda ok with ndrange/ndindex being a sequence type, supporting ND
slicing, but not being an array ;)

I’m kinda warming up to the idea of expanding ndindex.

   1. The additional start and step can be omitted from ndindex for a while
   (indefinitely?). Slicing is way more convenient anyway.
   2. Warnings can help people move from nd.index(1, 2, 3) to nd.index((1,
   2, 3))
   3. ndindex can return a seperate iterator, but the ndindex object would
   hold a reference to it. Calls to ndindex.__next__ would simply return
   next(of_that_object)
   Note. This would break introspection since the iterator is no longer
   ndindex type. I’m kinda OK with this though, but breaking code is never
   nice :(
   4. Bench-marking can help motivate the choice of iterator used for step=(1,)
   * N start=(0,) * N
   5. Wait until 2019 because I don’t want to deal with performance
   regressions of potentially using range in Python2 and I don’t want this
   to motivate any implementation details.

Mark

On Wed, Oct 10, 2018 at 12:36 AM Eric Wieser <wieser.eric+nu...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> One thing that worries me here - in python, range(...) in essence
> generates a lazy list - so I’d expect ndrange to generate a lazy ndarray.
> In practice, that means it would be a duck-type defining an __array__
> method to evaluate it, and only implement methods already present in numpy.
>
> It’s not clear to me what the datatype of such an array-like would be.
> Candidates I can think of are:
>
>    1. [('i0', intp), ('i1', intp), ...], but this makes tuple coercion a
>    little awkward
>    2. (intp, (N,)) - which collapses into a shape + (3,) array
>    3. object_.
>    4. Some new np.tuple_ dtype, a heterogenous tuple, which is like the
>    structured np.void but without field names. I’m not sure how
>    vectorized element indexing would be spelt though.
>
> Eric
> ​
>
> On Tue, 9 Oct 2018 at 21:59 Stephan Hoyer <sho...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> The speed difference is interesting but really a different question than
>> the public API.
>>
>> I'm coming around to ndrange(). I can see how it could be useful for
>> symbolic manipulation of arrays and indexing operations, similar to what we
>> do in dask and xarray.
>>
>> On Mon, Oct 8, 2018 at 4:25 PM Mark Harfouche <mark.harfou...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> since ndrange is a superset of the features of ndindex, we can implement
>>> ndindex with ndrange or keep it as is.
>>> ndindex is now a glorified `nditer` object anyway. So it isn't so much
>>> of a maintenance burden.
>>> As for how ndindex is implemented, I'm a little worried about python 2
>>> performance seeing as range is a list.
>>> I would wait on changing the way ndindex is implemented for now.
>>>
>>> I agree with Stephan that ndindex should be kept in. Many want backward
>>> compatible code. It would be hard for me to justify why a dependency should
>>> be bumped up to bleeding edge numpy just for a convenience iterator.
>>>
>>> Honestly, I was really surprised to see such a speed difference, I
>>> thought it would have been closer.
>>>
>>> Allan, I decided to run a few more benchmarks, the nditer just seems
>>> slow for single array access some reason. Maybe a bug?
>>>
>>> ```
>>> import numpy as np
>>> import itertools