For what it's worth, these are fairly widely used functions.  From a user
standpoint, I'd gently argue against deprecating them. Documenting the
inconsistency with scalars  seems like a less invasive approach.

In particular ascontiguousarray is a very common check to make when working
with C libraries or low-level file formats.  A significant advantage over
asarray(..., order='C') is readability.  It makes the intention very
clear.  Similarly, asfortranarray is quite readable for folks that aren't
deeply familiar with numpy.

Given that the use-cases they're primarily used for are likely to be read
by developers working in other languages (i.e. ascontiguousarray gets used
at a lot of "boundaries" with other systems), keeping function names that
make intention very clear is important.

Just my $0.02, anyway.  Cheers,
-Joe