On Mon, Sep 16, 2019 at 1:45 PM Peter Andreas Entschev <pe...@entschev.com>
wrote:

> What would be the use case for a duck-array to implement __array__ and
> return a NumPy array? Unless I'm missing something, this seems
> redundant and one should just use array/asarray functions then. This
> would also prevent error-handling, what if the developer intentionally
> wants a NumPy-like array (e.g., the original array passed to the
> duckarray function) or an exception (instead of coercing to a NumPy
> array)?

Dask arrays are a good example. They will want to implement __duck_array__
(or whatever we call it) because they support duck typed versions of NumPy
operation. They also (already) implement __array__, so they can converted
into NumPy arrays as a fallback. This is convenient for moderately sized
dask arrays, e.g., so you can pass one into a matplotlib function.