On Fri, Aug 14, 2020 at 12:23 PM Peter Andreas Entschev <pe...@entschev.com>
wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> This thread has IMO drifted very far from its original purpose, due to
> that I decided to start a new thread specifically for the general NEP
> procedure discussed, please check your mail for "NEP Procedure Discussion"
> subject.

Thanks Peter. For future reference: better to just edit the thread subject,
but not start over completely - people want to reply to previous content. I
will copy over comments I'd like to reply to to the other thread by hand
now.

> On the topic of this thread, I'll try to rewrite NEP-35 to make it more
> accessible and ping back here once I have a PR for that.

Thanks!

Cheers,
Ralf

Is there anything else that's pressing here? If there is and I
> [...]
>>> improve this. And specified in there as well that NEP content set to the
>>> mailing list should only contain the sections: Abstract, Motivation and
>>> Scope, Usage and Impact, and Backwards compatibility. This to ensure we
>>> fully understand the "why" and "what" before the "how". Unfortunately that
>>> template and procedure hasn't been exercised much yet, only in NEP 38 [7]
>>> and partially in NEP 41 [8].
>>>
>>> If we have long-time maintainers of SciPy (Ilhan and myself),
>>> scikit-image (Juan) and CuPy (Leo, on the PR review) all saying they don't
>>> understand the goals, relevance, target audience, or how they're supposed
>>> to use a new feature, that indicates that the people doing the writing and
>>> having the discussion are doing something wrong at a very fundamental level.
>>>

>>> At this point I'm pretty disappointed in and tired of how we write and
>>> discuss NEPs on technical topics like dispatching, dtypes and the like.
>>> People literally refuse to write down concrete motivations, goals and
>>> non-goals, code that's problematic now and will be better/working post-NEP
>>> and usage examples before launching into extensive discussion of the gory
>>> details of the internals. I'm not sure what to do about it. Completely
>>> separate API and behavior proposals from implementation proposals? Make
>>> separate "API" and "internals" teams with the likes of Juan, Ilhan and Leo
>>> on the API team which then needs to approve every API change in new NEPs?
>>> Offer to co-write NEPs if someone is willing but doesn't understand how to
>>> go about it? Keep the current structure/process but veto further approvals
>>> until NEP authors get it right?
>>>

>> I think the NEP template is great, and we should try to be more diligent
>> about following it!
>>
>> My own NEP 37 (__array_module__) is probably a good example of poor
>> presentation due to not following the template structure. It goes pretty
>> deep into low-level motivation and some implementation details before usage
>> examples.
>>
>> Speaking just for myself, I would have appreciated a friendly nudge to
>> use the template. Certainly I think it would be fine to require using the
>> template for newly submitted NEPs. I did not remember about it when I
>> started drafting NEP 37, and it definitely would have helped. I may still
>> try to do a revision at some point to use the template structure.
>>

>>> I want to make an exception for merging the current NEP, for which the
>>> plan is to merge it as experimental to try in downstream PRs and get more
>>> experience. That does mean that master will be in an unreleasable state by
>>> the way, which is unusual and it'd be nice to get Chuck's explicit OK for
>>> that. But after that, I think we need a change here. I would like to hear
>>> what everyone thinks is the shape that change should take - any of my above
>>> suggestions, or something else?

>>> Some variant of this proposal would be my preference.

>>> https://github.com/numpy/numpy/blob/master/doc/neps/nep-0038-SIMD-optimizations.rst
>>> [8]