On Thu, 2020-08-20 at 16:00 -0600, Aaron Meurer wrote:
> Just to be clear, what exactly do you think should be deprecated?
> Boolean scalar indices in general, or just boolean scalars combined
> with other arrays, or something else?

My angle is that we should allow only:

* Any number of integer array indices (ideally only explicitly
  with `arr.vindex[]`, but we do not have that luxury right now.)

* A single boolean index (array or scalar is identical)

but no mix of the above (including multiple boolean indices).

Because I think they are at least one level more confusing than
multiple advanced indices.

I admit, I forgot that the broadcasting logic is fine in this case:

   arr = np.zeros((2, 3))
   arr[[True], np.array(3)]

where the advanced index is also a scalar index. In that case the
result is straight forward, since broadcasting does not affect
`np.array(3)`.

I am happy to be wrong about that assessment, but I think your opinion
on it could likely push us towards just doing a Deprecation.
The only use case for "multiple boolean indices" that I could think of
was this:

    arr = np.diag([1, 2, 3, 4])  # 2-d square array
    indx = arr.diagonal() > 2  # mask for each row and column
    masked_diagonal = arr[indx, indx]
    print(repr(masked_diagonal))
    # array([3, 4])

and my guess is that the reaction to that code is a: "Wait what?!"

That code might seem reasonable, but it only works if you have the
exact same number of `True` values in the two indices.
And if you have the exact same number but two different arrays, then I
fail to reason about the result without doing the `nonzero` step, which
I think indicates that there just is no logical concept for it.

So, I think we may be better of forcing the few power-user who may have
found a use for this type of nugget to use `np.nonzero()` or find
another solution.

- Sebastian