On Wed, Sep 7, 2022, at 07:55, 腾刘 wrote:
> Hello, everyone. I'm a newcomer here and looking forward to
> contributing to Numpy core code in the future.
>
> However, there is an obstacle right ahead of me that I don't know how
> to figure out the corresponding relationship between Numpy python code
> and its C implementation code. In another word, I really want to know
> which part of Numpy core C code implements this simple numpy array
> addition:

> I have built Numpy from source in a virtual environment (via conda),
> and I know the addition described above might be implemented in loop.c
> or something like that from StackOverflow, but I want to find a general
> approach to solve all these similar problems like: where are array
> transpose implemented?  where are array reshape implemented? etc. So I
> am seeking some tools like GDB and track python step by step. I *can
> *use gdb to track python, but I can't set breakpoint in Numpy because
> Numpy's C code isn't part of Python interpreter.
>
> So all in all, my final question is that, how can I debug and track
> Numpy's C code and see which part is executed? I believe there must be
> a method because the real developers will certainly need to debug.

Hi,

As a first pointer, you might find one of the first videos on the NumPy youtube
channel (from a NumPy Newcomers’ Hour panel discussion) useful, in case you
haven't seen it yet: "Find your way in the NumPy codebase :: Melissa Mendonca,
Sebastian Berg, Tyler Reddy, Matti Picus"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTWpBf1zewc . Others in the channel might also
be relevant.

András