Hi all,

Unlike conversions of 0-d arrays via:

    float(np.array([1]))

conversions of 1-D or higher dimensional arrays with a single element
are a bit strange:

    float(np.array([1]))

And deprecating it has come up often enough with many in favor, but
also many worried about the possible annoyance to users.
I decided to give the PR a shot, I may have misread the room on it
though:

    https://github.com/numpy/numpy/pull/10615

So if this turns out noisy (or you may simply disagree), I am happy to
revert!

There was always the worry that it might be painful for downstream.
SciPy, pandas, matplotlib should all be fine (were fixed in the past
years).  And the fact that SciPy required much more changes than the
other gives me some hope that many libraries won't mind.

For end-users, I would lean towards taking it slow, but if you see
issues there we can also revert of course.

Cheers,

Sebastian