I have a pull request, but I am stuck for a day now on how to handle the masked
arrays.

I made some progress by calling the MaskedArray methods, but in some cases
those methods call back the ndarray methods via their super class. The method
_mean_var for ndarray  need to resize the produced mean to align the shape of
the mean and variance or standard deviation, but if the incoming and therefore
the outgoing object is a MaskedArray that is not allowed.

Also I sometimes see some uppredictable behavior which gives me the feeling I
am looking at pointer problems.

python runtests.py -t numpy/core/tests/test_numeric.py
passes now

python runtests.py -t numpy/ma/tests/
is fialing with weird erros on complex masked arrays, particularly:
 test_varstd
 test_complex