Hi,

On Mon, Oct 9, 2023 at 11:49 AM Andrew Nelson <andyf...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 9 Oct 2023 at 20:34, <norbertpiotraduc...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Surely you can do this for all functions of eg.nan*. Why separate them is
>> the only thing that distinguishes them.  Setting the parameter seems to be
>> more handy and user-friendly.  Well for me it's seems better to do it right
>> away in NumPy 2.0
>

> I think I prefer the clearer intent of having nan* functions.

Could you say more about why you consider:

np.mean(x, dropna=True)

to be less clear in intent than:

np.nanmean(x)

?  Is it just that someone could accidentally forget that the default
for `np.mean` is not to drop NaNs?    If so - is that a major problem?
  We would be introducing `dropna=True` as not-default, on a world
that is used to the default.

I must say I have several times found myself thinking - why is there a
separate function for means when dropping NaN?

Cheers,

Matthew