Your comparisons do not paint correct picture.
a) Most of time here is spent for array allocation and the actual time of the
loop gets swallowed in the noise
a) You do not test early stop - your benchmarks simply test full loop as
condition is almost never hit - 5 standard deviations...

Here is comparison with Cython:

import npi
arr = np.random.random(100_000)
%timeit npi.first_above(arr, 5)     # 66.7 µs
%timeit first(arr, lambda x: x > 5) # 83.8 ms
arr[100] += 10
%timeit npi.first_above(arr, 5)     # 16.2 µs
%timeit first(arr, lambda x: x > 5) # 86.9 ms

It is in the magnitude of 1000 x slower.

Regards,
DG