On Mon, 6 May 2024 at 19:59, Aaron Meurer <asmeu...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, May 6, 2024 at 6:34 AM Mark Harfouche <mark.harfou...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > I'm asking that you let Python 3.9 support disappear with 1.26, and not
> > "drop a final version" before you decide to move on with 3.10+ only.
>
> I don't understand NumPy supporting Python 3.9 means you have to also.
> A downstream dependent only has to support at most the versions you
> do. If NumPy dropped Python 3.9 but you wanted to keep it that would
> be a problem, but the reverse isn't because scikit-image depends on
> NumPy, not the other way around.

A downstream package needs to provide updates for all the same Python
versions as its dependencies because otherwise e.g. a NumPy 2.0
release for CPython 3.9 breaks dependent packages that no longer
support 3.9. Those projects then need to add back support for older
Python versions at the same time as putting out an urgent
compatibility release. Perhaps usually this is not such an issue but
particularly for an intentionally compatibility breaking release
sending it out to more than the usual range of Python versions is not
helpful for downstream.

--
Oscar