I am working to transition mkl_fft and mkl_random to NumPy 2.0.
Both of these projects contain native extensions.

I have distilled unexpected behavior behind observed test failures in minimal C
extension:

https://github.com/oleksandr-pavlyk/reproducer-for-question-about-numpy2

The extension defines a single Python function which does expects
numpy.ndarray, and queries its itemsize in two ways

  1.  By  calling C function declared in "_aux.h"  defined in "_aux.c" to call
PyArray_ITEMSIZE and return the result
  2.  By calling PyArray_ITEMSIZE directly

https://github.com/oleksandr-pavlyk/reproducer-for-question-about-numpy2/blob/main/ext.c#L19-L22

The result obtained by calling C function is always 0, while direct call gives
the correct result.

I am hoping for advice about what is wrong and how to fix it.

Thank you,
Sasha