Alan G Isaac wrote:
> On Sat, 24 Mar 2007, "Steven H. Rogers" apparently wrote:
>> It looks like reduce(), map(), and filter() are going away for Python
>> 3.0 since GvR believes that they are redundant and list comprehensions
>> and generator expressions are more readable alternatives.  lambda was on
>> the block as well, but will be retained.
>
> I assume you are referring to
> <URL:http://www.artima.com/weblogs/viewpost.jsp?thread=98196>
> <URL:http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2006-February/060415.html>
>
> As I understand it, **if** reduce, map, and filter "go
> away", they will go away as built-ins and become available
> in a ``functional`` module.
>
> That said, I think losing reduce as a built-in would be sad.
> It is math friendly.

Putting these functions in a 'functional' module (maybe the math module
would be better?) has been suggested, but I haven't found anything that
indicates that the matter is settled.  Sending expressions of interest
and use cases could make the final decision more rather than less
favorable to the NumPy/SciPy community.  There's also a plan to
restructure the standard library and possibly reduce the number of
library packages included in the standard distribution for Python 3.0.

# Steve