> On Wednesday 18 April 2007 20:14, Sturla Molden wrote:

> This case will require some extra work. The array needs to remember,
> that there is an unevaluated expression depending on it.

This is certainly a complication that needs to be worked out. An array
could store a set of dependent expressions, but I don't know if it's
efficient enough.

The most naïve solution would be to make arrays immutable (copy-on-write)
like strings. But that is not very appealing. Actually, Matlab's matrices
behaves exactly like this - and it isn't that bad - but I much rather
prefer mutable NumPy arrays.