Elegant solution. Very readable and takes care of row0 nicely.

I want to point out that this is much more efficient than my version
for random/late string representation changes throughout the
conversion but it suffers from 2*n memory footprint and large block
copying if the string rep changes arrives very early on huge datasets.
I think we can't have best of both and Tims solution is better in the
general case.

Maybe "use one_alt if rownumber < xxx else use other_alt" can
fine-tune performance for some cases. but even ten, with many cols,
it's nearly impossible to know.

//Torgil