On Jan 7, 2008 12:08 PM, Anne Archibald <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On 07/01/2008, Charles R Harris <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > One place where Numpy differs from MatLab is the way memory is handled.
> > MatLab is always generating new arrays, so for efficiency it is worth
> > preallocating arrays and then filling in the parts. This is not the case
> in
> > Numpy where lists can be used for things that grow and subarrays are
> views.
> > Consequently, preallocating arrays in Numpy should be rare and used when
> > either the values have to be generated explicitly, which is what you see
> > when using the indexes in your first example. As to assignment between
> > arrays, it is a mixed question. The problem again is memory usage. For
> large
> > arrays, it makes since to do automatic conversions, as is also the case
> in
> > functions taking output arrays, because the typecast can be pushed down
> into
> > C where it is time and space efficient, whereas explicitly converting
> the
> > array uses up temporary space. However, I can imagine an explicit
> typecast
> > function, something like
> >
> > a[...] = typecast(b)
> >
> > that would replace the current behavior. I think the typecast function
> could
> > be implemented by returning a view of b with a castable flag set to
> true,
> > that should supply enough information for the assignment operator to do
> its
> > job. This might be a good addition for Numpy 1.1.
>
> This is introducing a fairly complex mechanism to cover, as far as I
> can see, two cases: conversion of complex to real, and conversion of
> float to integer. Conversion of complex to real can already be done
> explicitly without a temporary:
>
> a[...] = b.real
>
> That leaves only conversion of float to integer.
>
> Does this single case cause enough confusion to warrant an exception
> and a way around it?

I think it could be something like C++ where implicit downcasts in general
are flagged. If we went that way, conversions like uint32 to int32 would
also be flagged. The question is how much care we want to take with types.
Since Numpy is much more type oriented than, say, MatLab, such type safety
might be a useful addition. Python scalar types would remain castable, so
you wouldn't have to typecast every darn thing.

Chuck