This feature request has been repeatedly asked before (e.g. 6 months
ago). The relevant ticket (#558, although this only asks for axis
support) mentions a milestone 1.1. I would like to ask if it could be
moved somewhat higher on the priority list.

I provided some code for axis support (see ticket), which I largely
copied from the Scipy version back then. I suspect there are many
other people who also implemented their own customized median()
function that has axis support.

> median moved mediandim0
> implementation of medianwithaxis or similar, with same call
> signature as mean.
>
> Deprecation warning for use of median, and return of mediandim0 for
> now.  Eventual move of median to return medianwithaxis.

This would confuse people even more, I'm afraid. First they're said
that median() is deprecated, and then later on it becomes the standard
function to use. I would actually prefer a short pain rather than a
long one.

Joris