A Friday 08 February 2008, Charles R Harris escrigué:
> > Also, in the context of my work in indexing, and because of the
> > slowness of the current implementation in NumPy, I've ended with an
> > implementation of the quicksort method for 1-D array strings.  For
> > moderately large arrays, it is about 2.5x-3x faster than the
> > (supposedly) mergesort version in NumPy, not only due to the
> > quicksort, but also because I've implemented a couple of macros for
> > efficient string swapping and copy.  If this is of interest for
> > NumPy developers, tell me and I will provide the code.
>
> I have some code for this too and was going to merge it. Send yours
> along and I'll get to it this weekend.

Ok, great.  I'm attaching it.  Tell me if you need some clarification on
the code.

Cheers,

V   V   Cárabos Coop. V.   Enjoy Data
 "-"
/* This is a quick sort implementation for numpy strings, mainly for
   testing purposes, but could be useful in the future.  It happens to
   be between 2.5x and 3x (for long enough arrays) than the string
   sort in NumPy (based in merge sort).

   Francesc Altet 2008-02-07
 */

#define sSWAP(a,b) {						\
    for (i=0; i<ss; i++) {					\
      ((char *)SWAP_temp)[i] = ((char *)(b))[i];		\
      ((char *)b)[i] = ((char *)(a))[i];			\
      ((char *)a)[i] = ((char *)(SWAP_temp))[i];		\
    }								\
  }

#define opt_memcpy(a,b,n) {				\
    for (i=0; i<(n); i++) {				\
      ((char *)a)[i] = ((char *)(b))[i];		\
    }							\
  }

/* opt_strncmp is an optimized version of strncmp, mainly for easy the
   inlining by the compiler.  I'm not sure whether the inline would
   create problems with other compilers than GCC, but it can safely
   removed and let the compiler decide if it should do the inlining or
   not.  In any case, the inlining can improve the global performance
   by a 20% or more.

   This is only valid for regular strings, but adding support for UCS4
   should be a matter of replacing 'char' by 'PyArray_UCS4', I think.
 */
static inline int opt_strncmp(char *a, char *b, int n) {
  int i;
  for (i=0; i<n; i++) {
    if (a[i] > b[i]) return i;
    if (a[i] < b[i]) return -i;
  }
  return 0;
}

/* start: the address where the data for 1-D string array starts
   ss: the size of the string elements.
   num: the number of elements
  */
int quicksort_string(char *start, int ss, intp num)
{
  char *pl = start;
  char *pr = start + (num - 1) * ss;
  char *vp;
  char *SWAP_temp;
  char *stack[PYA_QS_STACK], **sptr = stack;
  char *pm, *pi, *pj, *pt;
  int i;

  vp = malloc(ss);
  SWAP_temp = malloc(ss);
  for(;;) {
    while (((pr - pl)/ss) > SMALL_QUICKSORT) {
      /* quicksort partition */
      pm = pl + (((pr-pl)/ss) >> 1)*ss;
      if (opt_strncmp(pm, pl, ss) < 0) { sSWAP(pm, pl); }
      if (opt_strncmp(pr, pm, ss) < 0) { sSWAP(pr, pm); }
      if (opt_strncmp(pm, pl, ss) < 0) { sSWAP(pm, pl); }
      opt_memcpy(vp, pm, ss);
      pi = pl;
      pj = pr - ss;
      sSWAP(pm, pj);
      for(;;) {
	do { pi += ss; } while (opt_strncmp(pi, vp, ss) < 0);
	do { pj -= ss; } while (opt_strncmp(vp, pj, ss) < 0);
	if (pi >= pj)  break;
	sSWAP(pi, pj);
      }
      sSWAP(pi, pr-ss);
      /* push largest partition on stack */
      if (pi - pl < pr - pi) {
	*sptr++ = pi + ss;
	*sptr++ = pr;
	pr = pi - ss;
      }else{
	*sptr++ = pl;
	*sptr++ = pi - ss;
	pl = pi + ss;
      }
    }
    /* insertion sort */
    for(pi = pl + ss; pi <= pr;	pi += ss) {
      opt_memcpy(vp, pi, ss);
      for(pj = pi, pt = pi - ss; pj > pl && opt_strncmp(vp, pt, ss) < 0;) {
	opt_memcpy(pj, pt, ss);
	pj -= ss; pt -= ss;
      }
      opt_memcpy(pj, vp, ss);