I am new to the world of Python and numpy

Welcome.

I have successfully imported the data into lists and then created a single array from the lists.

I think putting each quantity in a 1D array is more practical in this case.

I can get the rainfall total over the entire period using:
<snip>
But what i would like to do is get an average rainfall for each month and also
the ability to get rainfall totals for any month and Year

Assuming that yr, mth and rain are 1D arrays, you may try something along

[[average(rain[(yr == y) & (mth == m)]) for m in unique(mth[yr==y])] for y in unique(yr)]

which gives you the monthly average rainfalls stored in lists, one for each year.

The rain data cannot be reshaped in a 3D numpy array, because not all months have the same number of days, and not all years have the same number of months. If they could, numpy would allow you to do something like:

average(rain.reshape(Nyear, Nmonth, Nday), axis =-1)

to get the same result.

J.