On 21/03/2008, Gnata Xavier <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>  Something like http://idlastro.gsfc.nasa.gov/idl_html_help/TOTAL.html
>  (Thread Pool Keywords) would be nice.
>  A "total like" function could be a great pathfinder a put threads into
>  numpy keeping the things as simple as they should remain.
>  Not sure we need that is numpy in 1.1 but IMHO we need that in a near
>  future (because every "array oriented" libs are now threaded).

There was some discussion of this recently. The most direct approach
to the problem is to annotate some or all of numpy's inner C loops
with OpenMP constructs, then provide some python functions to control
the degree of parallelism OpenMP uses. This would transparently
provide parallelism for many numpy operations, including sum(),
numpy's version of IDL's total(). All that is needed is for someone to
implement it. Nobody has stepped forward yet.

Anne