2008/4/8, Bruce Southey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> Hi,
> I agree that the current histogram should be changed. However, I am not
> sure 1.0.5 is the correct release for that.

We both agree.

David, this doesn't work for your code:
> r= np.array([1,2,2,3,3,3,4,4,4,4,5,5,5,5,5])
> dbin=[2,3,4]
> rc, rb=histogram(r, bins=dbin, discard=None)

Returns:
> rc=[3 3] # Really should be [3, 3, 9]
> rb=[-9223372036854775808                    3 -9223372036854775808]

I used the convention that bins are the bin edges, including the right most
edge, this is why len(rc) =2 and len(rb)=3.

Now there clearly is a bug, and I traced it to the use of np.r_. Check this
out:

In [26]: dbin = [1,2,3]

In [27]: np.r_[-np.inf, dbin, np.inf]
Out[27]: array([-Inf,   1.,   2.,   3.,  Inf])

In [28]: np.r_[-np.inf, asarray(dbin), np.inf]
Out[28]:
array([-9223372036854775808,                    1,
2,                          3, -9223372036854775808])

In [29]: np.r_[-np.inf, asarray(dbin).astype(float), np.inf]
Out[29]: array([-Inf,   1.,   2.,   3.,  Inf])

Is this a misuse of r_ or a bug ?

David

But I have not had time to find the error.