Thanks Joe for the excellent post. It mirrors my experience with
Python and Numpy very eloquently, and I think it presents a good
argument against the excessive use of namespaces. I'm not so worried
about N. vs np. though - I use the same method Matthew Brett suggests.
If I'm going to use, say, sin and cos a lot in a script such that all
the np. prefixes would make the code hard to read, I'll use:

import numpy as np
from numpy import sin,cos

To those people who have invoked 'Namespaces are a honking great idea
- let's do more of those', I'll cancel that with 'Flat is better than
nested' :)  I certainly wouldn't argue that using namespaces to
separate categories of functions is always a bad thing, but I think it
should only be done as a last resort.

Neil