On Apr 24, 2008, at 8:52 PM, Bill Spotz wrote:

On Apr 24, 2008, at 5:45 PM, Timothy Hochberg wrote:
Bill Spotz wrote:
> I have generally thought about this in the context of, say, a
> Krylov-space iterative method, and what that type of interface would
> lead to the most readable code.

Can you whip up a small example, starting with the current implementation?

This sounds like work.  ;-)

I'll shoot for putting something together this weekend. I think Tim is right; we've been talking around in circles, and we need something concrete.

I have posted my example (using the current interface) at http://www.scipy.org/ConjugateGradientExample . I have also added a link to it from Alan's http://www.scipy.org/MatrixIndexing so that they will be somewhat connected.

It is just one example, and provides one small area where the vector classes would be useful. I hope others will post similar examples, so that the design discussion can address concrete, agreed-upon situations.

Note that I started using "row_vector" and "col_vector" as the class names in my discussion. No reason to re-introduce camel-case to numpy, and I think "col" is a universally recognized abbreviation for "column" and I like the symmetry of the three-letter "row_" and "col_" prefixes.

** Bill Spotz                                              **
** Sandia National Laboratories  Voice: (505)845-0170      **
** P.O. Box 5800                 Fax:   (505)284-0154      **
** Albuquerque, NM 87185-0370    Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED] **