Hi,

I think my understanding is somehow incomplete... It's not clear to me
why (simplified case)

a[curidx,:] = scalar * a[2-curidx,:]
should be faster than
a = scalar * b

In both cases I thought the scalar multiplication results in a new
array (new memory allocated) and then the difference between copying
that result into the existing array u[curix,:] or reassining the
reference u to that result should be very similar?

If anything I would have thought the direct assignment would be
quicker since then there is no copying.

What am I missing?

> This should give you a substantial speedup.  Also, I have to say that
> this is begging for weave.blitz, which compiles such statements using
> templated c++ code to avoid temporaries.  It doesn't work on all
> systems, but if it does in your case, here's what your code might look
> like:

If you haven't seen it this page gives useful examples of methods to
speed up python code (incuding weave.blitz), which has Hoyt says would
be ideal in this case:
http://scipy.org/PerformancePython

Robin