On Tue, May 20, 2008 at 5:55 PM, Jonathan Wright <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Stéfan van der Walt wrote:
>  > As for internationali(s/z)ation, we'll see who writes the most
>  > docstrings.
>
> Indeed. There are some notes on the OLPC wiki at
>
> http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Python_i18n
>
> It seems to be just a question of adding at the top of add_newdocs.py
>
> from gettext import gettext as _
>
> ... and putting the docstrings in a _() function call, although perhaps
> I miss something important, like a performance hit?

Possibly a significant one. This could affect startup times, which I
am hesitant to make worse.

> This would catch
> everything in add_newdocs at least. It seems like a relatively minor
> change if you are overhauling anyway?

add_newdocs() could do that, but the usual function docstrings can't.
The rule is that if the first statement in a function is a literal
string, then the compiler will assign it func.__doc__. Expressions are
just treated as expressions in the function body and have no affect on
func.__doc__.

--
Robert Kern

though it had an underlying truth."