On Wed, Jun 4, 2008 at 9:25 AM, J. Stark <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Robert,
>
> I see your point, but why not just install a separate NumPy to run
> with the system Python? That is what I have always done in the past
> without problems.

I think the problem is the system python already comes with a (much
older) cut down version of numpy which you can find in:
/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/Extras/lib/python/numpy
This makes all sorts of problems when installing a new version...
Obviously you can't have two different versions of the same package
with the same name in the same python installation (how do you choose
which one you mean with import numpy.)
I think there were problems with the path so when a new numpy is
installed in 2.5/Extras/lib/site-packages it is actually after the
existing one on the path and doesn't get picked up. Even if it does
work, the worry is that you're changing a supplied component and Apple
stuff might depend upon the version supplied (or other software people
distribute to use the 'system' python might expect it to be there).

I think theres much less chance of problems using the system python
for system things and leaving it well alone - and installing the
python.org for everyday use. The only problem with this is that the
system python works with dtrace while the normal one doesn't...

Cheers

Robin