On Tue, Jun 24, 2008 at 9:45 AM, Dan Yamins <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 24, 2008 at 2:12 AM, Charles R Harris <
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> Hi Dan,
>>
>> Did you finally get numpy installed as 64 bits?
>>
>> Chuck
>>
>> Hey, thanks for asking.   I did in fact get it installed -- at least, I
> think so.
>
> First, I had to built python in 64bit.  I did this using exactly the
> instructions that mabshoff gave (they should be accessible in an email in
> the archives of this mailinglist).  Then, when it came to installing numpy I
> ran into a problem that at first I couldn't get numpy to import properly --
> the multiarray.so module was build for 32-bit, not 64.  But then I followed
> mabshoff's instructions again and deleted the build folder from the numpy
> download; this time when I ran setup.py, multiarray.so appeared to have been
> built properly.  I _think_ at least it's working -- when I run
>    numpy.dtype(numpy.uintp).itemsize
> the result is '8'.  Moreover, I can run numpy array functions efficienctly
> on objects of size >> 3 GB, so it looks like it's working.
>
> Btw, I had to do the same to get scipy to install properly as 64-bit -- at
> least, I think it's been installed properly.    (Again,
> scipy.dtype(scipy.uintp).itemsize returns 8 --  I assume that's diagnostic
> here as well?)

Looks like you got it right. The reason you needed to delete the build
folder was that setup didn't know that python had changed and, since nothing
else had changed either, it just copied over the old build.

> It might be useful to have a repository of 64-bit builds and/or build
> instructions.

We should probably put mabshoff's instructions for building 64-bit python on
the MAC somewhere in the wiki.

Chuck