On Wed, Jul 9, 2008 at 02:53, Pauli Virtanen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Tue, 08 Jul 2008 23:03:52 -0500, Robert Kern wrote:
>> On Tue, Jul 8, 2008 at 14:01, Keith Goodman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>> I don't know what to write for a doc string for alterdot and
>>> restoredot.
>>
>> Then maybe you're the best one to figure it out. What details do you
>> think are missing from the current docstrings? What questions do they
>> leave you with?
>
> I have the following for starters:
>
> - Are these meant as user-visible functions?

Yes, with the caveats below.

> - Should the user call them? When? What is the advantage?

Typically, one would only want to call them when trying to
troubleshoot an installation problem, benchmark their installation, or
otherwise need complete control over what code is used. Most users
will never need to touch them.

> - Are BLAS routines used by default? (And if not, why not?)

If numpy.core._blasdot was built and imports, then yes.

> - Which operations do the functions exactly affect?
>  It seems that alterdot sets the "dot" function slot to a BLAS
>  version, but what operations does this affect?

dot(), vdot(), and innerproduct() on C-contiguous arrays which are
Matrix-Matrix, Matrix-Vector or Vector-Vector products.

--
Robert Kern

though it had an underlying truth."
 -- Umberto Eco