Travis E. Oliphant wrote:
> Thomas J. Duck wrote:
>
>> Determining the minimum value of an array that contains NaN produces
>> a surprising result:
>>
>>  >>> x = numpy.array([0,1,2,numpy.nan,4,5,6])
>>  >>> x.min()
>> 4.0
>>
>> I expected 0.0.  Is this the intended behaviour or a bug?  I am using
>> numpy 1.1.1.
>>

> NAN's don't play well with comparisons because comparison with them is
> undefined.    See  numpy.nanmin

This is not true! Each single comparison with a NaN has a well defined
outcome. The difficulty is only that certain logical assumptions do not
hold any more when NaNs are involved (e.g. [A<B] is not equivalent with
[not(A>=B)]). Assuming an IEEE compliant processor and C compiler, it
should be possible to code a NaN safe min routine without additional
overhead.