Suppose I have a toeplitz matrix, A.  There is a well known algorithm
for computing the matrix vector product Ax, in NlogN operations.  An
exact reference escapes me, but it may be in Golub & van Loan's book.

My question is, how could I best take advantage of this algorithm
within numpy/scipy?

I could code it python.  However, since python is a high level
language, it's not clear to me that I'd see an execution time benefit
over numpy.dot(A,x).  Alternatively, I could write it in a compiled
language and build python bindings to it.

Thoughts?

-gideon