On 24-Nov-08, at 4:22 PM, Gabriel Gellner wrote:

>> asin(1j) raises an exception, arcsin doesn't. They are *different*
>> functions, hence the names.
>>
> Yet:

> False

In fact, this goes for every single function listed in the math
module's docs, except for the somewhat useless pow(). *Every* other
function in math has a corresponding numpy ufunc with the exact same
name. So, no, I don't think that's a compelling argument either.

> And they have the same name. Isn't this what name spaces are for? I
> think it is
> strange that some of the math functions have the same name, and some
> don't. I
> can't see how being different functions justifies this, or we need
> to rename
> the normal trig functions.
>
> I can see not wanting to break API compatibility but I don't find the
> `different functions` argument compelling.

+1. Mixing np.foo and math.foo calls is kind of a recipe for disaster
in the general case, I would think.

David