> At any rate, I really like the OpenMP approach and prefer to have
> support for it in Cython much better than threading, MPI or whatever.
> But the thing is: is OpenMP stable, mature enough for allow using it in
> most of common platforms?  I think that recent GCC compilers support
> the latest incarnation (3.0) of the standard, but IIRC, MSVC 2008 only
> supports OpenMP 2.5 specification.  I'm not sure how this would affect
> a possible implementation in Cython, tough.

OpenMP has been around for a long time.  But in other ways, I don't
consider it to be completely stable and mature - mainly because of the
fact that there haven't been free compilers (like gcc) that support
OpenMP for very long.  For example, I am running OS X Leopard, which
is back at gcc 4.0.1 - a good ways previous to the OpenMP support.
But, this will hopefully change in the next few years as everyone
moves to more recent versions of gcc.

But, Cython could simply do a test of the compiler to see if it
supports OpenMP and what version it supports.

Brian