Just for other peoples reference I eventually went with a cython
version that goes about twice as fast as my old post.  Here it is:

import numpy as np
cimport numpy as np

cdef extern from "math.h":
    double cos(double)
    double sin(double)

def rotation(np.ndarray[double] theta):
    cdef np.ndarray[double, ndim=2] R = np.zeros((3,3))
    cdef double cx = cos(theta[0]), cy = cos(theta[1]), cz = cos(theta[2])
    cdef double sx = sin(theta[0]), sy = sin(theta[1]), sz = sin(theta[2])

    R[0,0] = cx*cz - sx*cy*sz
    R[0,1] = cx*sz + sx*cy*cz
    R[0,2] =  sx*sy

    R[1,0] = -sx*cz - cx*cy*sz