On Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 3:22 AM, Pauli Virtanen <p...@iki.fi> wrote:
> Tue, 10 Mar 2009 15:27:32 +0900, David Cournapeau wrote:
>> For the upcoming 1.3.0 release, I would like to distribute the (built)
>> documentation in some way. But first, I need to be able to build it :)
>
> Yep, buildability would be a nice feature :)

Yes, indeed. Ideally, I would the doc to build on as many platforms as possible.

>> What are the exact requirements to build the documentation ? Is sphinx
>> 0.5 enough ? I can't manage to build it on either mac os x or linux:
>
> Sphinx 0.5.1 worksforme, and on two different Linux machines (and Python
> versions), so I doubt it's somehow specific to my setup.

Yes, it is strange - I can make it work on my workstation, which has
the same distribution as  my laptop (where it was failing). I am still
unsure about the possible differences (sphinx version was of course
the same).

> Sphinx 0.6.dev doesn't work at the moment with autosummary. It's a bit of
> a moving target, so I haven't made keeping it working a priority.

Sure - I was actually afraid I needed sphinx 0.6.

> This is a Sphinx error I run into from time to time. Usually
>
>        make clean
>
> helps, but I'm not sure what causes this. The error looks a bit like
>
>        http://bitbucket.org/birkenfeld/sphinx/issue/81/
>
> but I think Ctrl+C is not a requirement for triggering it. Did you get
> this error from a clean build?

Ah, that may be part of the problem. I can't make a clean build on mac
os x, because of the "too many opened files" thing. Maybe mac os x has
a ulimit kind of thing I should set up to avoid this.

>> There are also some errors on mac os x about too many opened files
>> (which can be alleviated by running the make html again, but obviously,
>> that's not great). I don't know if there are easy solutions to that
>> problem,
>
> At which step did this error occur?

It occurs at the html output phase ("writing output")- maybe there is
a bug in sphinx with some files which are not closed properly.

Concerning the doc, I would like to add a few notes about the work we
did for the C math lib: is it ok to add a chapter to the C reference
guide, or is there a more appropriate place ?

cheers,

David