Charles R Harris wrote:
> Whether the code that gets compiled is written using lazy evaluation
> (ala Sturla), or is expressed some other way seems like an independent
> issue. It sounds like one important thing would be having arrays that
> reside on the GPU.
Memory management is slow compared to computation. Operations like
malloc, free and memcpy is not faster for VRAM than for RAM. There will
be no benefit from the GPU if the bottleneck is memory. That is why we
need to get rid of the creation of temporary arrays, hence lazy evaluation.

Having arrays reside in VRAM would reduce the communication between RAM
and VRAM, but the problem with temporary arrays is still there.

Also VRAM tends to be a limited resource.

Sturla