Well, I've been starting working on a pyglet backend but it is currently painfully slow mainly because I do not know enough of the matplotlib internal machinery to really benefit from it. In the case of glumpy, the use of texture object for representing 2d arrays is a real speed boost since interpolation/colormap/heightmap is made on the GPU.

Concerning matplotlib examples, the use of glumpy should be actually two lines of code:

from pylab import *
from glumpy import imshow, show

but I did not package it this way yet (that is easy however).

I guess the main question is whether people are interested in glumpy to have a quick & dirty "debug" tool on top of matplotlib or whether they prefer a full fledged and fast pyglet/OpenGL backend (which is really harder).

Nicolas