On Sat, Nov 28, 2009 at 11:16 AM, David Cournapeau <courn...@gmail.com>wrote:

> On Sat, Nov 28, 2009 at 6:34 PM, René Dudfield <ren...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > the other day I tried installing numpy with easy_install, and did not
> have
> > much luck with python2.6.
>
> What problem exactly do you have ?
>
> Since 1.3.0, the release process for numpy uses virtualenv internally
> to build the installers, so at least python setupegg.py install works
> as far as setuptools is concerned.
>
> > The work around is to just install it in another way (eg, dmg or with
> > setup.py install).
>
> That's the recommended way anyway. I am trying to make sure we work
> under as many cases as possible for packaging, but the underlying
> python architecture for packaging is so fragile and flawed that things
> will break from time to time.
>
> David
>

> Hello David,

yeah, I completely understand the unfortunate packaging situation (eg, some
of my packages do not work with this install method).

Here is a simple package requiring numpy.  It uses buildout (
http://www.buildout.org/).  To help easily reproduce the problem, here are
the commands to reproduce.

curl -O http://rene.f0o.com/~rene/numpy_buildout.tar.gz
#wget http://rene.f0o.com/~rene/numpy_buildout.tar.gz
tar xf numpy_buildout.tar.gz
cd numpy_buildout
python2.6 bootstrap.py
./bin/buildout

It prints out heaps of stuff... then finally fails with:

/var/folders/d1/d1p0zeCxF7Kz3G5FZJsh6E+++TM/-Tmp-/easy_install-2WsZVp/numpy-1.3.0/numpy/distutils/misc_util.py:219:
RuntimeWarning: Parent module 'numpy.distutils' not found while handling
absolute import
Error in atexit._run_exitfuncs:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File
"/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/lib/python2.6/atexit.py",
line 24, in _run_exitfuncs
    func(*targs, **kargs)
  File
"/var/folders/d1/d1p0zeCxF7Kz3G5FZJsh6E+++TM/-Tmp-/easy_install-2WsZVp/numpy-1.3.0/numpy/distutils/misc_util.py",
line 219, in clean_up_temporary_directory
ImportError: No module named numpy.distutils
Error in sys.exitfunc:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File
"/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/lib/python2.6/atexit.py",
line 24, in _run_exitfuncs
    func(*targs, **kargs)
  File
"/var/folders/d1/d1p0zeCxF7Kz3G5FZJsh6E+++TM/-Tmp-/easy_install-2WsZVp/numpy-1.3.0/numpy/distutils/misc_util.py",
line 219, in clean_up_temporary_directory

I hope that helps if someone wants to reproduce the problem very easily some
time.

notes:
* you should not have numpy installed already to reproduce the problem,
otherwise the buildout uses the installed version and works.
* use `python bootstrap.py -d` if you want to use distribute instead of
setuptools (which has python3.1 support).
* numpy with buildout works ok with python2.5

cheers,