Ah, that is maybe the idea:

if (_import_array() < 0) {
   /* Clear the error state since we are handling the error. */
   PyErr_Clear();
   /* ... set up for the sans-numpy case. */
}
else {
   /* ... set up for the with-numpy case. */
}

I did not call PyErr_Clear() when _import_array() < 0 and the error is
probably still hanging and then given later.

I will try this this evening.

Thank you for the hints.

Peter