Sam Tygier wrote:
> Hi
>
> I am trying to read an ascii file which mixes ints, floats and stings.
> eg.
> 1 2.3 'a' 'abc  '
> 2 3.2 'b' '     '
> 3 3.4 ' ' 'hello'
>
> Within a column that data is always the same. the strings are sometimes
> contain with spaces.

Does each column always contain the same number of characters? That is,
are the field widths always the same?  If so, you can give the
'delimiter' argument of numpy.genfromtxt a list of field widths.  (This
is true even in numpy 1.3.0, though it does not appear to be documented.)

An example is attached to this post to scipy-user:
    http://mail.scipy.org/pipermail/scipy-user/2010-February/024333.html

Warren