On Tue, Jun 8, 2010 at 9:39 AM, David Goldsmith <d.l.goldsm...@gmail.com>wrote:

>> memory
>> most
>> great

>> rapidly,
>> > >

>> > Any index can change rapidly, depending on whether is in an inner loop
>> or
>> > not. The important distinction between C and Fortran order is how
>> indices
>> > translate to memory locations. The documentation seems correct to me,
>> > although it might make more sense to say the last index addresses a
>> > contiguous range of memory. Of course, with modern processors, actual
>> > physical memory can be mapped all over the place.
>> >
>> > Chuck
>>
>> To me, saying that the last index represents the most rapidly changing
>> memory
>> location means that if I change the last index, the memory location
>> changes
>> a lot, which is not true for C-order. So for C-order, supposed one scans
>> the memory
>> linearly (the desired scenario),  it is the last *index* that changes most
>> rapidly.
>>
>> The inverted picture looks like this: For C-order,  changing the first
>> leads to the most rapid jump in *memory*.
>>
>> Still have the feeling the doc is very misleading at this important issue.
>>
>> Pavel
>>

> The distinction between your two perspectives is that one is using for-loop
> traversal of indices, the other is using pointer-increment traversal of
> memory; from each of your perspectives, your conclusions are "correct," but
> my inclination is that the pointer-increment traversal of memory perspective
> is closer to the "spirit" of the docstring, no?

I think the confusion is in "most rapidly changing memory location", which
is kind of ambiguous because a change in the indices is always a change in
memory location if one hasn't used index tricks and such. So from a time
perspective it means nothing, while from a memory perspective the largest
address changes come from the leftmost indices.

Chuck