>> In the end, the question was; is worth adding start= and stop=
>> markers
>> into loadtxt to allow grabbing sections of a file between two known
>> headers?  I imagine it's something that people come up against
>> regularly.

Simple enough to wrap your file in a new file-like object that stops
coughing up lines when the delimiter is found, no?

class TruncatingFile(object):
   def __init__(self, fh, delimiter='END'):
     self.fh = fh
     self.delimiter=delimiter
     self.done = False
   def readline(self):
     if self.done: return ''
     line = self.fh.readline()
     if line.strip() == self.delimiter:
       self.done = True
       return ''
     return line
   def __iter__(self):
     return self
   def next(self):
     line = self.fh.next()
     if line.strip() == self.delimiter:
       self.done = True
       raise StopIteration()
     return line

from StringIO import StringIO
c = StringIO("0 1\n2 3\nEND")
numpy.loadtxt(TruncatingFile(c))

Though, really, it's annoying that numpy.loadtxt needs both the
readline function *and* the iterator protocol. If it just used
iterators, you could do:

def truncator(fh, delimiter='END'):
   for line in fh:
     if line.strip() == delimiter:
       break
     yield line

numpy.loadtxt(truncator(c))

Maybe I'll try to work up a patch for this.

Zach