To do a standard installation, run
sudo python setup.py install
from inside the numpy directory

Then your import should work elsewhere.

By the way, "import *" can cause difficulties when you're working with
several different files. For example, if you have a function called 'save'
somewhere that imports something that does 'from numpy import *' you'll have
problems because there is a numpy.save. It's better to import numpy with a
shorter name, ie, "import numpy as N" or "import numpy as npy" than to drop
the namespace altogether.