Thanks for your reply Ralf.  I'm not sure if it's a warning or error, output
looks like:

building library "npymath" sources
customize GnuFCompiler
Found executable /usr/bin/g77
gnu: no Fortran 90 compiler found
gnu: no Fortran 90 compiler found
customize GnuFCompiler
gnu: no Fortran 90 compiler found
gnu: no Fortran 90 compiler found
customize GnuFCompiler using config

Not sure about the best way to move g77 off the path since it shares the same
directory as gfortran and would require sysadmin intervention.

Is there no way through site.cfg or some other means to force the setup.py to
ignore g77?

--john