On 3/16/11 6:34 AM, Charles R Harris wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 16, 2011 at 7:24 AM, Paul Anton Letnes

> Yes, it is intentional. Numpy is more C than Python in this case,

I don't know that C has anything to do with it -- the *= operators were
added specifically to be "in-place" operators -- otherwise they would be
nothing but syntactic sugar. And IIRC, numpy was one of the motivators.

IMHO, the mistake was even allowing += and friends for immutables, as
that inherently means something different.

Of course, using += with integers is probably the most common case.

-Chris