On Sat, Jul 2, 2011 at 6:28 AM, Matthew Brett <matthew.br...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Here the primary discussion I was trying to start was about why the
> discussion failed and led to bad feeling.

Well, I have a hypothesis, don't know if it's true. It goes like this:
Most of the time, when one of us decides to take the trouble to try
and implement some change to the numpy core, it's because we really
want to be able to take advantage of that change in our own work. This
has two consequences:
 (a) it's only worth bothering if we can make sure that the resulting
code is really useful to us. So we're really motivated to make sure we
nail at least one use case.
 (b) we don't get any benefit from our work unless the code actually
gets merged. So we're really motivated to build consensus and convince
other people they really want our code too, because otherwise it'll
probably get dropped.

In this case, though, Mark got asked to write some code as part of his
job. Making commercial development and FOSS mix has this notorious
habit of going off the rails despite everyone having the best of
intentions, and I wonder if that was part of the problem here. If
Travis hired me to implement some feature demanded by the community,
then I wouldn't feel the same urgency to really make sure that
everyone was on board before investing my time. And I wouldn't have
the same urgency to make sure that it really nailed my use cases,
because that wouldn't be so central to my motivation for doing the
work. And on a limited-length contract, I'd have more urgency to get
something done quick. As it is, I don't want to waste this opportunity
enabled by Mark's time and Enthought's money, but I do care a lot more
about getting a good result than I do about making something happen
this month -- because I'll have to work with, support, and teach
people about whatever we come up with for the next however many years,
and that weighs a lot more heavily in my calculations.

Hopefully i tgoes without saying, but to be clear -- I'm sure Mark
*is* worrying about all the things I mentioned, and doing his best to
make something awesome that works for people. (And, Mark, sorry for
talking about you in the third person... not sure how to talk about
this better.) But sometimes that's not enough when the incentives are
weird.

It also doesn't help that apparently there have been multiple
discussions going on in different venues (on the mailing list, in
github, and presumably some face-to-face at Enthought's offices too),
which makes it very hard to keep everyone in the loop.

I'm a big fan of Karl's book too -- here are some sections I think
might be particularly relevant:
  http://producingoss.com/en/contracting.html
  http://producingoss.com/en/setting-tone.html#avoid-private-discussions
  http://producingoss.com/en/bug-tracker-usage.html