Hi,

On Wed, Jul 6, 2011 at 5:48 PM, Peter
<numpy-discuss...@maubp.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 6, 2011 at 5:38 PM, Matthew Brett <matthew.br...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> On Wed, Jul 6, 2011 at 4:40 PM, Mark Wiebe <mwwi...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> It appears to me that one of the biggest reason some of us have been talking
>>> past each other in the discussions is that different people have different
>>> definitions for the terms being used. Until this is thoroughly cleared up, I
>>> feel the design process is tilting at windmills.
>>> In the interests of clarity in our discussions, here is a starting point
>>> which is consistent with the NEP. These definitions have been added in a
>>> glossary within the NEP. If there are any ideas for amendments to these
>>> definitions that we can agree on, I will update the NEP with those
>>> amendments. Also, if I missed any important terms which need to be added,
>>> please propose definitions for them.
>>> NA (Not Available)
>>>     A placeholder for a value which is unknown to computations. That
>>>     value may be temporarily hidden with a mask, may have been lost
>>>     due to hard drive corruption, or gone for any number of reasons.
>>>     This is the same as NA in the R project.
>>
>> Really?  Can one implement NA with a mask in R?  I thought an NA was
>> always bitpattern in R?
>
> I don't think that was what Mark was saying, see this bit later in this email:

I think it would make a difference if there was an implementation that
had conflated masking with bitpatterns in terms of API.  I don't think
R is an example.

>>> The most important distinctions I'm trying to draw are:
>>> 1) NA vs IGNORE and bitpattern vs mask are completely independent. Any
>>> combination of NA as bitpattern, NA as mask, IGNORE as bitpattern, and
>>> IGNORE as mask are reasonable.
>
> This point as I understood it is there is the semantics of the special values
> (not available vs ignore), and there is the implementation (bitpattern vs
> mask), and they are independent.

Yes.   Although, we can see from the implementations that we have to hand that

a) bitpatterns -> propagation (NaN-like) semantics by default (R)
b) masks -> ignore semantics by default (masked arrays)

I don't think Mark accepts that there is any reason for this tendency
of implementations to semantics, but Nathaniel was arguing otherwise
in the alterNEP.

I think we all accept that it's possible to imagine masking have
propagation semantics and bitpatterns having ignore semantics.

Cheers,

Matthew