I did take a look at it.  It looked way heavier than I needed or wanted, plus
last time I looked it didn't support fancy indexing on axes...  It does support
indexing on 'ticks' though.
There is a bit of wheel inventing going on, but I think that's OK, since things
should be well worked out and experimented with before becoming lower level...

I think my suggestion for adding an index of unique ids as a tuple, like shape,
that is maintained though array manipulations is a good one though.  It would
make implementing any of these axes indexing attempts much easier and more
robust.  I'm sure the dataarray code could be greatly simplified by this
addition to ndarray, just as mine would.  This 'uniqueid' tuple could even be
extended to make keeping track of ticks easier: