On Sun, Sep 18, 2011 at 8:52 PM, <josef.p...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Sep 18, 2011 at 11:13 PM, Charles R Harris
> <charlesr.har...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >

> > On Sun, Sep 18, 2011 at 9:08 PM, Charles R Harris
> > <charlesr.har...@gmail.com> wrote:

> the
> arch-dependent
> >>>

> >> I think that is actually POSIX for the time_t structure. Which is not to
> >> say it's good ;) Google UNIX Year 2038 problem. ISTR reading recently
> that
> >> there is a movement afoot to fix the time_t structure on 32 bit machines
> for
> >> Linux. You've got to wonder, what were the POSIX people thinking?
> >>

> > See comments here.
>
> <OT>
>
> Thanks for the entertaining link
>
> "
> I think it's still perfectly valid to say "you're a moron,
> and we need to fix it"
> "
> (just a quote, doesn't apply to the python community)
>
> Josef

I've added a hack to try and work around this problem to the
datetime-cleanup pull request:

https://github.com/numpy/numpy/pull/161

Basically, for years >= 2038, it uses the year 2036 or 2037 (depending on
whether it's a leap year), then adds the year offset back on. Everything
already worked fine for me on my 64-bit platform, so it needs testing to
confirm the fix works.

-Mark