Hi,

On Sat, Oct 29, 2011 at 10:02 PM, Travis Oliphant
<oliph...@enthought.com> wrote:

>>> Here are my needs:
>>>
>>> 1) How NAs are implemented cannot be end user visible. Having to pass
>>> maskna=True is a problem. I suppose a solution is to set the flag to
>>> true on every array inside of pandas so the user never knows (you
>>> mentioned someone else had some other solution, i could go back and
>>> dig it up?)
>>
>> I guess this would be the same with bitpatterns, in that the user
>> would have to specify a custom dtype.
>>
>> Is it possible to add a bitpattern NA (in the NaN values) to the
>> current floating point types, at least in principle?  So that np.float
>> etc would have bitpattern NAs without a custom dtype?
>
> That is an interesting idea.   It's essentially what people like Wes McKinney
> are doing now.    However, the issue is going to be whether or not you do
> something special or not with the NA values in the low-level C function the
> dtype dispatches to.  This is the reason for the special bit-pattern dtype.
>
> I've always thought that requiring NA checks for code that doesn't want to
> worry about it would slow things down un-necessarily for those use-cases.

Right - now that the caffeine has run through my system adequately, I
have a few glasses of wine to disrupt my logic and / or social skills
but:

Is there any way you could imagine something like this?:

In [3]: a = np.arange(10, dtype=np.float)

In [4]: a.flags
Out[4]:
  C_CONTIGUOUS : True
  F_CONTIGUOUS : True
  OWNDATA : True
  WRITEABLE : True
  ALIGNED : True
  UPDATEIFCOPY : False
  MAYBE_NA : False

In [5]: a[0] = np.NA

In [6]: a.flags
Out[6]:
  C_CONTIGUOUS : True
  F_CONTIGUOUS : True
  OWNDATA : True
  WRITEABLE : True
  ALIGNED : True
  UPDATEIFCOPY : False
  MAYBE_NA : True

Obviously extension writers would have to keep the flag maintained...

Sorry if that doesn't make sense, I do not claim to be in full
possession of my faculties,

See you,

Matthew